A recap of the best jazz albums of 2017
– December 26, 2017This one, a hazy, electronics-dusted collaboration with Ron Miles and the slippery-toned guitarist Mary Halvorson, is similarly a moving target full of rich, melodic interplay.
Best of 2017 | Jazz: Vijay Iyer, Ron Miles and Nicole Mitchell look ahead
– December 19, 2017This one, a hazy, electronics-dusted collaboration with Ron Miles and the slippery-toned guitarist Mary Halvorson, is similarly a moving target full of rich, melodic interplay. Cameron Graves, "Planetary Prince" (Mack Avenue) One of the many albums that ...
Pop, Rock and Jazz in NYC This Week
– December 14, 2017On Sunday, the headliners include the guitarist Mary Halvorson’s quartet and the pianist Craig Taborn. The following night, the Kris Davis Trio will play, along with a large band performing John Zorn’s “Cobra,” an improvisation-driven composition.
Yo La Tengo Kick Off Hanukkah Run in New York
– December 13, 2017Mary Halvorson (guitar) and Zeena Parkins (harp) also sat in throughout their set. Continuing a tradition of covering Jewish musicians, they took on Richard Hell’s “The Kid With the Replaceable Head.” Nick Lowe then emerged for the group’s encore ...
Mary Halvorson: Paimon: Book of Angels Volume 32
– December 13, 2017I was first exposed to jazz when I discovered that one of Jimi Hendrix's influences was Wes Montgomery. I played guitar growing up and idolized Hendrix, so I knew that anyone he looked up to must be good
Ryan Papagelis Quartet at Friends of Simsbury Public Library Coffeehouse
– November 8, 2017They have studied under a variety of teachers, including Mike Casey, Carl Knox, Ed Fast, Brian Avery and others and their influences run the gamut from Cannonball Adderly to Cal Tjader, Paul Chambers and Mary Halvorson. According to friend Spencer Bernard ...